Monday, February 14, 2011

Looking for the Holy

So far I am having a hard time finding the holy here. Our first night in Jerusalem I saw from the window 2 soldiers search a man who was carrying a plastic bag at 2:30 in the morning. They let him weave on his way. I think anything in that plastic bag was alcohol. A lone Hasidic man walked by. Meanwhile, tractors and street cleaning machines were circling about. Not how one would imagine the Holy City.
This morning I sat on our decrepit balcony and looked up at the covered over Damascus Gate (I guess they are doing some construction work) and observed taxi drivers taking breakfasts using the low cement barriers as tables, a man building a fire in an empty palm tree circular space, and a Hasidic coming from the direction to the Wall. Buses like "Nazarene Express" fly by, a white-bearded Hasidic man moves slowly because he is reading a book. Arabs in kettifehs pass by. To me the square needs a good washing.


No comments:

Post a Comment