Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dead Sea and Masada

This is the second time I have come to the Dead Sea. The first time was in Jordan. In 1973, we drove in our van from Amman with a Palestinian refuge. We all went in and floated. Our Palestinian friend watched from the shore. I found it an unpleasant experience. The salt stings. But is is fun standing around watching people swim in it. That's what we did this time.

Why the Israelis Win Military Battles
Next to the Dead Sea is the Masada, the desert mesa fortress where in the year 70 AD the Jewish rebels committed suicide rather than surrender to the Romans. A mandatory field trip to the Masada by every Israeli student is part of the curriculum.
People think that the Israelis win battles because of luck, American help, the Masada "they'll never take us alive" spirit, or God knows how many other reasons. All of these reasons may play a part, but I know the real reason why they win. It is the diet! We have been visiting kibbutzes, many of which are now open for travelers with hostels and restaurants. I have been noticing all the good food. At the Masada Hostel we took the dinner. I have never seen so much varied wholesome food in one place. The buffet offered about 40+ choices of meats, fish, vegetables, salads, fruits, juices and good desserts. So here you have a country whose youth are eating such meals - forget about micro-wave pizza and coca cola. After they finish one of these fortifying meals, some Israeli Defence Force units are sworn in at the top of the Masada. I imagine they run up the steep Snake Path. If I were an enemy of Israel, I think I would lie low.

Masada My Way
Take the cable car (I climbed in Petra, so enough already) and wear trekking boots. Lots of rocks up there. Go as early as possible and miss the heat and the crowds. We had the whole Masada to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment