Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Finding the Holy Up

QUESTION Why is everything in Jerusalem up? Today we walked and walked and it was always up. We never went down except at the church on the site of the birth of the Virgin. Every church is up. The Wall is up. I look down on the Dome of the Rock from our hotel room, but when I walk there, it is up. The Mount of Olives is ridiculously up. Jesus and the Apostles were very fit, I assure you.
However, I did find today that Jerusalem is absolutely filled with holy. Jerusalem has, I swear, more churches than Rome and it seems an equal amount of synagogues and mosques. It would be impossible to see all of them.
We encounter so many pilgrims and religious of all faiths. Many are profoundly moved at the sites where Jesus preached and died. There is always a long line at the Western Wall. The young boys right are being led by their teacher to the Wall. We have not yet properly circled the Muslim holy place of pilgrimage, the Dome of the Rock because hours are limited. When we do, I expect to witness the same reverence and know that I will be tired walking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment