Friday, January 25, 2013

Coffee Press, Citrus Juicer and Philly Cheesesteak

The coffee press and the citrus juicer are packed. Bathing suits too. Goodbye winter. IF we do not get snowed in, we start driving tomorrow to Florida. We look forward to warm weather, alligators, beaches, especially South Beach Miami, Latin music, enchiladas in roadside taquerías, citrus groves, barbecue at Wiley's in Savannah, mangrove swamps, shrimp, and seeing family and friends. We are also looking forward to "Delie" Cheese Steak.

Our first stop is Wilmington, Delaware. Our usual first stop is the City of Brotherly Love for a "Philly" Cheese Steak, but our friends in Wilmington swear that "Delie" Cheese Steak is even better! We'll see. I have never had a Philly Cheese Steak which topped what they serve in Philadelphia. Maybe it is the atmosphere of being so close to Independence Hall and the hallowed Liberty Bell. Somehow I truly believe that lunch break back on the sweltering fourth day of  July 1776 our forefathers found the strength to go for it after they feasted on a genuine Philly Cheese Steak.

I have been obsessed with Philly Cheesesteak ever since I had my first when I was in Philadelphia for the first time for an Army-Navy football game. It was so good and when I discovered that what other places might label "Philly Cheese Steak" is not it, I spent long hours trying to duplicate the real thing. Not easy. You need the right buns, the right meat, the right cheese, and the proper technique. I have been able get the meat and cheese and I have the technique, but I still have not managed to either buy or make the de rigueuer Amoroso buns. Googling brings up a lot on line about Philly Cheese Steaks. I was amused by CNN blogger Matt Sloan's post "Three steps to cheesesteak supremacy". 

Meanwhile the snow is falling. We may not make it after all. We do not have a snow scraper for the car. And then there is the steep hill which is now all slippery.

No comments:

Post a Comment